No one wants to feel bad during the happiest time of the year. Here are a few tips to help you and your family avoid getting sick this holiday season.
- Make sure to get your flu vaccines if possible! This helps to keep you healthy as well as those who cannot get the vaccine due to health conditions. At Carolina Convenient Care get a nurse visit and the flu shot for just $35 for self-paying patients. Many insurances will cover the cost of your flu shot.
- Wash, wash, wash your hands!
- If you think someone may be sick, be sure to keep them out of the kitchen and away from any place where food prep is happening.
- Make sure all foods are prepared and cooked according to food safety organizations.
Before You Travel
- Make sure you have enough of your daily & problem medications prior to travel.
- Before you travel, everyone should include a paper for each family member that contains the following:
- Name any allergies to medication or medical hardware
- Date of birth
- Current medications
- Emergency contact(s)
- The phone number for your Primary Care Dr.
- Major surgeries
- Past medical history
- Primary Pharmacy
Keep it Clean
An important part of staying healthy is keeping your surroundings as clean as possible.
- Sanitize door knobs & light switches.
- Clean/sanitize areas where sick people were sitting and/or congregating.
- Change clothes as soon as possible after being exposed to sick people.
- Make sure to get adequate rest, good nutrition, keep allergies under control (if allergies are ‘acting up’ can make you more susceptible to bacteria and viruses around you).
- Drink plenty of water! Your body needs to stay hydrated with water to function at full strength
Sick Over the Holidays? Urgent Care Is Here!
Presents to buy, places to go, people to host – we know how busy you are during the holiday season. If you start to feel yourself coming down with something, come see us sooner rather than later. We are open Christmas Eve from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. but closed Christmas Day. We will return to our regular hours of operation on Tuesday, December 26, 2017 – 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.
We will be open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. on New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day.
Feel free to call us, 919-590-9005, anytime during the holidays if you have any questions.
Other places that are open during the holidays include:
- UNC-CH Memorial Hospital Emergency Department in Chapel Hill
- UNC-CH Chatham Hospital Emergency Department in Siler, City
- Duke University Hospital Emergency Department in Durham, NC
- WakeMed Hospital Emergency Departments in Apex, Cary, Raleigh, NC